METEOTERM is WMO terminology database. It contains specialized terminology in six languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish. It includes the International Meteorological Vocabulary, the International Glossary of Hydrology and terms from related sciences that appear in WMO documents. This database is by no means definitive or exhaustive, and any suggestions for additions or amendments are therefore welcome for consideration. Please send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enter the term/expression you would like to look for in the Search text box → Click Search
By default the search will be performed according to the "start with" option, which means that you will find records starting with the term/expression you type in the search field. To extend your search to records containing a term/expression (not only "starting with"), we recommend the use, in the search field, of the wildcard character * followed by the term without a space (ex. *meteorology).
|Examples of search||Results|
|*meteorology||agrometeorology, biometeorology, arctic meteorology|
|meteorolog*agriculture||Meteorology and agriculture (1968) (WMD theme)|
|*meteorology*agriculture||National Seminar on Meteorology in the Service of Agriculture|
|*meteorol* prov||Aviation Meteorological Service Providers|
- In the left-hand column, click on "Advanced Search".
- Enter your term in the "Search for" text box.
- Click on the button "Options" on the top right-hand of the window to refine your search.
- Click on "Fields" to refine your search by the listed fields.
- Click on "Languages" to choose the language in which you would like to perform the search (by default: English).
- Click on "Settings" to refine your search further by type: all words, starts with, consecutive words, any words, contains, etc.
- Finally, click on the "Search" button on the top of the page.
Once you get the results, click on View to see the whole record in all available languages. To go back to the results of your "advanced search", click again on "Advanced search" in the left-hand column.
To go back to the Basic search, click on the button "Close Search" on the top right-hand side.
IMPORTANT - Closing a TermBase session
To close a TermBase session, click on the Log out link, which is found at the top right-hand corner of the screen.
Some of the tips provided here are taken from Multitrans Guides.