The Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Programme assists Members in developing and delivering services that are directed at protecting lives, livelihoods and property from natural hazard in a cost-effective, systematic, and sustainable manner. This ultimately contributes to resilient and sustainable development under a changing climate.
The scope of the Programme encompasses strengthening the National Meteorological and Hydrological Services capacities to:
- support preparedness through early warning systems;
- provide hazard information for risk assessments, prevention, response and recovery, and risk transfer across sectors;
- mitigate existing risks and prevent the creation of new risks;
- respond to user requirements; and
- cooperate and engage in disaster risk governance structures at all levels.